Controversial social media personality cum Radio Presenter Andrew Kibe has this morning announced that he has left his job at Kiss 100 FM.
Writing to his Twitter followers on Tuesday, June 30, Kibe said that the morning show would be his last at the Radio Africa-owned station.
Kibe went on to explain that he had given a three-month notice to his employer after they began overly dictating the type of content he could put out on national radio and even pushed for the censored some of the discussions on the show.
Following his departure, Kibe now says he will be shifting his focus on his massively followed digital media platforms where he has the freedom to be himself without any restrictions.
“I gave my notice three months ago because I was being censored on the content I could put out on national radio. On social media, I can put out whatever I want without limitations, things I couldn’t say on the radio,” he noted, adding that that digital is the next frontier in content creation.
Kibe has also expressed great gratitude to fellow presenter Kamene Goro whom he has worked alongside since their NRG Radio days.
Perhaps dropping a hint at her imminent exit too, Kibe said that he hopes that Kamene will join him in the digital space soon.
However, a source close to the Radio Africa family has revealed that Kibe may have asked for a salary increase; only for him to be dismissed from his role at the station.
For some unknown reason, Kibe allegedly assumed his brand might have secured him more money, but Radio Africa Group didn’t seem to be on the same page with him on the matter, choosing to peacefully cut ties instead.
According to recent data, the breakfast show by Kamene and Kibe has been earning huge popularity over the last three months with over 716,000 listeners in the month of May 2020.
The Morning Kiss, which the duo took over in September 2019 after leaving NRG Radio earlier in the year, was ranked sixth overall in the country and the second most popular English show after Classic FM’s Maina and King’ang’i.
Kibe is the second high profile media personality to quit radio after Milele FM’s Jalang’o announced his departure from the Uhuru Kenyatta owned station on June 22.
Speculations are rife that Jalang’o, who has since delved into growing his online brand with his YouTube channel will be replacing Andrew Kibe at the station.
A few days ago revealed that he was going to make a comeback on one of the radio stations located at Lion’s Place.
“But I want to say, I might end up on Waiyaki way, on Waiyaki Way there are so many radios. But I had an amazing meeting with my friend, my boss, the first person who ever gave me the first-ever radio contract, Mr Patrick Quarcoo. We had a long discussion, so takeaway NRG radio but I think I might end up back at where it all began, Radio Africa. Which radio I still don’t know, could it be Kiss 100, Classic FM or Jambo,” he said at the time.
Fans, however, feel that a Kamene show without Kibe will be somewhat incomplete.
If speculations on Jalang’o’ s entry are true, some are sceptical on how well they will blend since the two potray completely different types of brands.
On the brighter side, chances are Kibe will not stay jobless for too long since his brand speaks for itself.
We can only watch and see how this one turns out.