Cancer continues to take more Kenyan lives, and now we have just lost three prominent leaders within a month, including Bob Collymore who was a Guyanese-born British businessman and had been in Kenya for 9 years.
Bob Collymore lost his battle to Acute Myeloid Leukemia, a type of cancer of the blood and bone marrow with excess immature white blood cells.
Below is a list of prominent Kenyans who have succumb to different types of cancer, highlighting the needs to declare the dreaded disease a national disaster and necessary measures take.
- The Late Bomet Governor Dr. Joyce Laboso – Colon Cancer
- The Late Kibra MP Ken Okoth – Colorectal Cancer
- The Late Nobel Prize Winner Prof. Waangari Maathai – Breast Cancer
- The Late Former Maendeleo Ya Wanawake Chairperson Jane Kiano – Lung Cancer
- The Late TV Presenter Janet Kanini – Lung Cancer
- The Late Baringo South MP Grace Kipchoim – Colon Cancer
- The Late Former Nyeri Governor Nderitu Gachagua – Pancreatic Cancer
- The Late Migori Senator Ben Oluoch – Throat Cancer
- The Late Kitui West MP Francis Nyenze – Colon Cancer
- The Late Kenyan-Born Harvard Professor Calestous Juma – Cancer
Currently, there are more than 60 politicians, including MPs and Senators who are battling cancer. Former Dagoretti MP Beth Mugo and Kisumu Senator Prof. Anyang’ Nyong’o are two prominent leaders we know are receivig cancer treatments.