The Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) joint secretary Paul Mwangi has dismissed claims by his colleague Maj (Rtd) John Seii that the 14-member team was not consulted by experts on the content of the final BBI report.
In an opinion piece published in a local daily, Paul Mwangi termed Seii’s allegations as shocking since the task force followed the laid down procedure in drafting the final report.
“The protocol was always that after discussions, we would go for a retreat and reach a decision on every matter, after that members sat with secretaries and experts to draft the report.
“We then met and everybody confirmed the contents of the report were what had been agreed on. Then we signed it. Before we submitted the report, we all met again, reread it and confirmed its contents; then it was given to the President,” he said.
Speaking during an interview on Thursday, Seii claimed that the experts put together the final report and ambushed members of the taskforce to sign it without giving them prior time to interrogate the final document.
“We had no time to go through the document and the 14 of us looked at each other in total disbelief when we were asked to sign the final BBI draft that was set to be handed over to President Uhuru Kenyatta and ODM leader Raila Odinga… The document had been well-prepared and what was left is for us to sign. I had expected we be called on a Wednesday so that we can review its content first. The experts, however, told us nothing had been changed, and we had to sign in trust.
“The document had been well-prepared and what was left is for us to sign. I had expected we be called on a Wednesday so that we can review its content first. The experts, however, told us nothing had been changed, and we had to sign in trust,” he said as quoted by Standard.
Seii’s remarks have caused anxiety among Kenyans with many questioning the authenticity of the report launched by President Kenyatta and Odinga.